A Mike Meeple Review: Super Fantasy Brawl

Become a Patron!
by Mythic Games

A Super Brawler's Fantasy

I love card games.  

Pokemon? I'm gonna catch 'em all!

Magic the Gathering?  Yeah, I'd tap that.

Hell, Hearthstone is pretty much the only reason I ever upgrade my phone. (You're WELCOME, AT&T)

But...  Have you ever played one of these card games and thought, "You know, this game would be much better if it had some BIG ASS miniatures"?


Yeah, me either...

But you know know who DID think that?!?  Mythic Games!  THAT'S WHO!

So, today, we're taking a look at their MONOLITHIC production, Super Fantasy Brawl, to see if this game will be a serious contender or just a novelty.

Ready to Rum-Brawl


Super Fantasy Brawl is a card driven, arena-style miniatures combat game where players draft heroes to assemble a team in order complete objects, score points, but most of all, just beat the living hell out of each other.

Each hero comes with a six card deck, full of cards that are unique to that hero, and once you've chosen a team of three, you shuffle up all three heroes' decks a la Smash Up.

On their turn, players are able to play cards from their hand, each of which has all of the Movement, Attacks, and various other special effects that occur for that action.


As you can see, these cards come in three different colors.  You see, this is where the wrinkles come into your gameplan.  You're only able to play one card of each color.  So, you know how you have those two red cards that would make a killer combo?  Nope, you can't do that.

But what about next turn?  I'll keep that extra red card for next turn!  Then I'll be able to use it!

Think again!

Wait...  What now?

At the end of your turn, you DISCARD the rest of the cards in your hand!

This goes against EVERY SINGLE CARD GAME INSTINCT IN MY ENTIRE BODY!

Now, this took some getting used to, but really all it does is add another level of strategy, but it really took me awhile to wrap my head around it!


As you play, you'll be trying to accomplish the tasks on various objective cards to score points.  The only problem is that the objective cards change their value each turn, before eventually being discarded, similar to the system in Blitz Bowl.

Now, I like this system, heck, I liked it in Blitz Bowl, but because you can score objectives while they're worth ZERO points in this game, it can make you feel a little frustrated at times.

But...  But, I got all three of my champions next to the same statue...

Components of Mythic Proportions


Super Fantasy Brawl is an AMAZING looking game.

I've even started a series of painting tutorials for the game because these minis are AMAZING.  But...

Just two standard sized minis sitting next to each other...

It's almost TOO amazing.

Everything about this game is excessive.

Big minis, big box, GameTrayz inserts, minis instead of tokens, plastic tokens, I could go on.

Hell, I even half expected the cards to be gigantic, too!

F&ck Exploding Kittens...  F&ck that trash game...

I mean, these are all issues with the Kickstarter edition of the game, and these are really first world problems, but it's something that I feel should be addressed.

Buy It!, Try It!, or Fly It!

So, I am incredibly impressed with this game.  Not only does Super Fantasy Brawl stand on it's own as a solid miniatures game, it actually stands on it's own as a card game as well.

As you play through the game, you'll start to see the cards in your hand develop into combos, it's just that instead of spending weeks at home theory-crafting about your deck, you have to identify the combos on the fly, and I like that.

While I don't claim to have played each and every combination of heroes, I can tell you that from my point of view, they all have different roles to play, and various strengths and weaknesses.

One knock against this game is the amount of keywords.  Now, most card games come with keywords, so I get it, and while some are pretty intuitive (Push 1 means push your opponent one space away from you) others can be confusing because they seem to have very similar effects, save for one slight detail (Dash vs. Jump vs. Swoop anyone?)


Overall, this is a very minor complaint for such a great game, and one that will quickly be remedied the more you play and the more you're familiar with your favorite heroes.

As of the writing of this review, Mythic Games is currently hosting a Super Fantasy Brawl Round 2 Kickstarter, which I HIGHLY encourage you to check out.  Pre-pandemic, there was talk of official tournaments and organized play, and if/when we're able to do that, trust me, you won't want to miss out on this one.

The Verdict...?

BUY IT!

Remember to Share, Comment, and Subscribe!
If you like what I have to say, consider becoming a Patron
and make sure you follow me on YouTubeInstagramTwitteror on Facebook!

Comments